When preparing for your journey to begin or grow your business it is essential to evaluate your skill set. Lack of knowledge in some areas is not necessarily a disadvantage as we will continue learning and gain experience. It is important to know what your strengths are and what skills you lack to fill in the blanks. It is a skill with a process that can be learned. Being able to foresee future needs and manage the risk wisely will help in creating a successful business. Part of it has to do with stepping outside our comfort zone and taking calculated risks. A business coach is able to guide you in checking how ready you are. A few questions you can ask yourself are:
- How much do I know about my business and the niche I am going after?
- What are my key skills that will help me in running my business?
- What is my level of management experience?
- Who has done this business model before and what could I get out of it?
- Who can I turn to for support?
- What kind of life experience will help me run my business?
- How capable am I as a leader of a team?
- What is my reaction under pressure?
- Can I afford to do this full-time or part-time?
- What is my contingency plan?
- What additional technology do we need?
- What legalities do we need to have in place?
- What actions do I need to take to increase chances of success?
Learning from the experts and seeing things from a different viewpoint will add to leadership skills; as we learn we increase our understanding, improve communication and learn to appreciate others' perspectives.