"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."—George Bernard Shaw
Publications aim to support, promote and educate entrepreneurs across the world. They have brought professionals together through the sharing of “inspirational, entertaining and intelligent content.” It is a way to stay abreast of new trends and standards, and to learn about changes in the economy. The demand in today’s market makes it essential to use our time wisely by continuous learning. Choosing topics within your industry will help build your knowledge base.
Entrepreneurs share similar characteristics in that they search to use their knowledge to create growth, they are able to think outside the box, and have a passion and sense of urgency that compels them to take risks. According to Tom Post, Editor of the Entrepreneurs Channel, “Entrepreneurs are extremely curious and bright, and they are always hungry for new ideas and approaches... They also love to take new ideas and turn around and teach them to their business.”
A few of the best publications for small business owners include:
- Inc. is dedicated to helping new entrepreneurs learn about new ideas/trends. Articles tend to be quick reads that offer action plans and a wide variety of successful small business stories.
- Entrepreneur is dedicated to providing the reader with answers regarding every issue that small businesses face(work/life balance issues, economy, work, production and much more).
- Fast Company tends to be a little more edgy. The magazine tends to be content-rich.
- Forbes is one of the best magazines for business owners. It offers advice and interesting stories by successful entrepreneurs and experts offering top quality business knowledge.
- The Washington Post offers a section to educate entrepreneurs/small businesses on how new laws and news will affect them. The Post posts on day-to-day issues that affect businesses such as tax policy, immigration, and business reform.
- The Huffington Post offers small business owners firsthand information about important day-to-day issues and views on how news/laws affect a business, articles regarding marketing and information to help guide start-ups and much more.
- The New York Times offers great advice to business owners under its Entrepreneurship section. The newspaper is known for its quality reporting.
- Success Magazine is tailored towards more personal success. It’s an excellent resource to learn to become a better manager, learn to have a balance in your life, achieve goals, productivity and how to apply these personal goals to your business.
- Fortune magazine focuses on business and also provides a variety of excellent newsletters such as The Broadsheet about women leaders and Race Ahead about diversity in corporate America.